Tuesday 15 November 2011

Searching for Enlightenment

A few days ago, I mentioned to my mother that I wanted to get a statue of Buddha to put in my bedroom. There is something about that peaceful smile that gives me comfort. She asked me if I was a follower of Buddha and I could not say yes or no.

Today I decided to read up a little on Buddhism. I am very attracted to the philosophy and I will be studying it a little. I am hoping that it will show me a path to inner peace and enlightenment. I have already read through the Buddhist moral code, the 5 precepts, which I will embrace. They are:

  • Not to take the life of anything living
  • Not to take anything not freely given
  • To abstain from sexual misconduct and sensual overindulgence
  • To refrain from untrue speech
  • To avoid intoxication or losing mindfulness

Buddhism is not a religion, but rather a way of life that encourages spiritual enlightment. I need that. I am looking forward to learning more.

No comments:

Post a Comment