Monday 18 June 2012

A Slow Start...

As usual, I am experiencing a slow start to this week... Not because I want to, but because my brain is wired to do so after the weekend. It's a weekly struggle and I am used to it.

The weekend itself was good. Like someone said this morning, a bad weekend is better than no weekend at all. I fully agree!

Friday evening, the family unit went to Pascali's to eat. And we ate... A lot. If we don't go there for half price Monday night pizza, we go for meze. We order their deep-fried foccacia, which is heavenly, with some dips and a few of their starter dishes. And sangria. Lots and lots of sangria! And we talk. In the years I was with the ex, I missed having conversations with my family over a good meal. We are especially talkative during our Friday night meals - when we can round off the week and we have the energy to go on a little longer than on a weeknight. I ended the evening off by watching a dvd - Music and Lyrics - a cute rom-com with Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore.

On Saturday morning I was ordered to stay home while my parents went shopping - for my birthday present. So I bummed around the house and relaxed. In the evening, my mom and I went to church. I hadn't been for a while and it was good. I like going to church. I am working on my relationship with God. We have our moments when we are at odds, and I am slowing beginning to build my trust in Him again.

Then after church and dinner I went off to Cafe Barcelona. Three of my favourite South African bands were playing - Southern Gypsy Queen, Black Cat Bones and Tidal Waves. I had a great time, seeing old friends and making new ones. The members of Tidal Waves were very happy to see me again. I have been a fan of theirs for many years and they did notice my absence in the time that I was with the ex and the subsequent withdrawal from the world immediately following the break-up. But now I'm back and I will be seeing them more often. No doubt about it. I can't even begin to describe the amount of fun I had - it reminded me of a simpler time, many years ago, before heartbreak, before the tears. Except that this time I am a better version of me, a stronger version of me and that makes me incredibly happy.

Sunday was Father's Day and my sister and I treated my dad to a delicious meal at Tasha's in Brooklyn Design Square. We had a great time and I think he really enjoyed the fact that his daughters are able to take him out to a nice restaurant for a good meal. I love my dad more than I can explain. He has been a true hero to me, over and over again. It brings tears to my eyes thinking how incredibly strong he was for me in the months following the break-up and the miscarriage. Thank you dad for being you!

And that brings us to Monday... Back at work. The nuisance woman is still around and I am waiting for the next wave of drama to come from her. That is all we can do, I guess. Just wait for something to happen - good or bad. So we'll see. I'm just keeping my distance, ignoring the little things that annoy me and concentrating on what I need to do.

So let's do it...

No comments:

Post a Comment