Monday 28 May 2012

The Consequences of Procrastination

I am back at the office after quite a hectic week last week.

On Tuesday, I attended a training session on diversity. It was interesting, but I'm not sure how it's supposed to be beneficial to my job. It didn't point out differences between races and give practical suggestions on how to deal with certain scenarios. It was just a talk on how people are different, on how we need to work together... All very fine and well, but not very practical. Oh well, at least it's done.

On Wednesday we had out HR team get together. We had this session on how we're each a different type of plant and this is how this one plants acts and speaks and walks. I was really irritated by the whole personality profiling thing. Firstly, the woman who presented this thing is a hairdresser by trade and she developed this "programme" herself. Secondly, this hairdresser woman is a friend of the stupid cow here at the office and it was she who got this woman to come talk to us. And I know the reason for it.... The stupid cow woman is the kind of person that will use something like this to say "Well, I'm a sunflower and that's just how I am so you must just deal with it". A sunflower, by the one, is the personality profile that means you're a complete fucking retard, that you're all about being cool and sociable all the time and that you really have no place in the business world. Ooops... Did that come out all mean and condescending?

The highlight of Wednesday was a short session where team members were recognised for their hard work. the people who worked on NAS 3 (our application system) were given R100 vouchers for the movies. And yes, I got one of those vouchers because I was the one that wrote the manual. I was super happy! And then the head of HR wanted to recognise more people with a gift. There were 6 people he wanted to recognise, and the first name he called out was mine! I was really surprised and happy. I have never received any recognition in any form before! The gift was a beautiful serving platter, with three small sauce pots and spoons. Beautiful! So it was a great end to the day!

On Thursday I went to Emperor's Palace for our HR conference. All of the HR staff that work for the retail section of the bank were there. Over 250 people. The day consisted of lectures.... Lectures about economics, leactures about the business, I even forget what the others were about.... There were a lot of them and they were long and boring. I tried very hard to pay attention but it was no use! We finished in good time in the afternoon, and then we checked into our hotel rooms. The room I had was kind of small, but functional. Not bad. We had our dinner in the evening so I put on my sexy dress and dolled myself up. The dinner was so much fun! We had Riaad Moosa as our entertainment and he is super funny! The food was ok, nothing special. And then the party started. I danced a lot! I had an awesome time! I left the party just after 11pm. Got back to my room, took a shower and got into bed. I slept really well for about an hour and then I woke up to the sound of my neighbour in the room next door. He put the TV on rather loud and was talking loudly to a friend. It was so annoying! All I wanted to do was go to back to sleep!!! After listening to the noise for about an hour, I called reception and asked them to sort it out. I had seriously had enough! It took another half hour or so for the noisy shit to quieten down. But by then, I was so annoyed that I couldn't get back to sleep!!! Needless to say, I was pissed off and tired in the morning.

On Friday morning we had a few more lectures and I struggled to stay awake. I started feeling better after tea time, when I stuffed my face with some delicious ham, cheese and tomato sandwiches! We finished our lectures early and then it was off to lunch and after that we were free to go. I got home to my kitties and took an incredible nap!

I spent the entire weekend chilling at home, mostly on the couch, watching movies. The only time I went out was Sunday night to redeem my movie vouchers with my sister.

And today I am cursing my procrastionation.... As usual, I have left an assignment until the last minute. The deadline has been extended twice already and I should have done it weeks ago, but I procrastinated and now I am days away from having to submit this thing and I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing!!! Ooops!!! I guess I'll do what I can and take it from there. It's my own stupid fault, I know.

I've also been rather annoyed at the office, but that's normal. My boss confirmed that my request for an office has been approved and that I will need to sit with the relevant people when they draw up the plans for the renovation. I haven't been given an exact date as to when all of this is going to happen. All I've been told is soon.... I hate that. But at least I will be getting what I need to make work a little more bearable.

At the moment I am just killing time until I can go home. I'm a little sleepy. Also, my skin has been hurting, almost burning since last night. It feels like a sunburn, except that I haven't been in the sun. All my clothes make me hurt. What would be really comfortable right now.... Being naked and in a lukewarm bath. Seriously. I'm in a shitload of pain. I have no rash, nothing. And I'm desperately trying to not scratch because I think that will make it a lot worse.

Home time soon.... I can't wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment