Friday 18 May 2012

People Make Me Sick

We had a rather traumatic evening last night. On my way home from the Gautrain station with my dad yesterday evening, we got a phone call from my mom, asking us to please hurry home as she wanted my dad to accompany my sister to take her cat Lucy to the animal hospital. I asked my dad what was wrong and he told me the story...

Out neighbour saw Lucy carrying a rat that she had caught when suddenly, she dropped the rat and started having convulsions. The neighbour tried to pick Lucy up but she got away and made her way home. My mom was in the garden and the neighbour popped her head over the wall and told her that Lucy was not well. By that stage, Lucy had stumbled into our yard and when my mom looked at her, she noticed that she was having convulsions, dry heaving and that she was bleeding a lot from her bum. My mom freaked out and called my sister to come home immediately. The neighbour told my mom that she had seen Lucy with a rat in her mouth and they suspected that the rat had been poisoned, therby poisoning the cat. My sister raced home while my mom looked after Lucy and cleaned up the blood. When my sister arrived, she took Lucy to her vet and the put her on a drip with medication for the suspected poisoning. After a while, my sister went back home. When we received the call from my mom, my sister had just received a call from the vet saying that she was getting worse and that she should take her to the animal hospital. The vet told my sister that she had consulted another vet and they didn't believe Lucy was poisoned as her heartbeat was too fast and the reaction time was also too quick - poison takes a bit more time to take effect and makes the heartbeat slow down.

When we arrived home, my dad went with my sister to pick Lucy up from the vet and then go to the animal hospital from there. My mom and I waited at home.

When they returned, they were both very angry. When they arrived at the animal hospital with Lucy, and a letter from the vet outlining what medication she had been given, they did an examination on her. They noticed that Lucy's heartbeat was extremely fast and that she had a small bump by her hip bone. They took an x-ray and found a pellet practically touching her hip bone. The shaved her hip area, and there was an entrance wound.


The reason she was having so many convulsions and bleeding from her bum is the fact that she was in severe shock. That was also the reason for her fast heartbeat. They put her on a drip at the hospital and she was placed under observation.

My sister is going to go to the hospital this morning to see how she is, and hopefully to bring her home if she is stable.

It just infuriates me that someone would shoot a small animal for the fun of it. Lucy is very lucky that the pellet did not hit her in her abdomen. It would have ripped her insides to pieces. It's probably some stupid kid with a pellet gun, running around like a fucking delinquent, shooting everything that moves. And his fucking parents are probably oblivious. We are going to find them, and they are going to pay - not just for the vet bills but for being irresponsible parents and all-round fuckers. It just pisses me off so much!!! My dad is making up some flyers today and they will be distributed to every unit in our complex. We will find the responsible party.

Get well soon, Lucy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment